Friendship & Daisies

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Albert Schweitzer


Friendship has been key to my journey finding God and learning to see the world in a positive light. Kathy's dad says we were soul sisters, from the very beginning something just clicked. My dearest friends are the ones who can provide a listening ear and allow me to vent. They also intuitively know when I need truth more than empathy. Equally important, they help restore my sense of humor when I'm not yet ready to laugh at some of the crazy predicaments I find myself in. Kathy & I read each other well and switched gears easily in our friendship providing a dependable shelter of encouragement.

After her initial diagnosis but before we knew her cancer would be terminal, Kathy gave me a card with this quote:

“If you have one true friend you have more than your share.” Thomas Fuller

I began collecting quotes when I was in high school and filled journal books with them. I draw great comfort and strength from the wisdom in them. It was Kathy who found the quote below about daisies while she was in the midst of what became a battle for her life. To this day, daisies are my favorite flower. We both tended to take life too seriously & this was a perfect reminder to lighten up.


"If I had my life to live over, I’d dare to make more mistakes next time. I’d relax; I’d limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I’d have fewer imaginary ones. You see, I’m one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I’d have more of them. In fact, I’d try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after the other, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I’ve been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had it to do over again, I would travel lighter than I have. If I had my life to live over again, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dance; I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies." Nadine Stair


Cancer redefined for both of us what a 'real problem' is. It also helped us to develop a deep appreciation for the simple joys of life. The storms of my life have made me stronger. When things are at their worst, people and God are at their best. 911 gave us a worldwide example of this truth. Today when circumstances turn dark, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that on the other side of the storm I am weathering there will be a new joy.


Sorrow with his pick, mines the heart,
but he is a cunning workman.
He deepens channels whereby happiness may enter,
and hollows out new chambers for joy to abide when he is gone.
- Unknown

Not everyone has the luxury of a true friend when storms threaten and discourage us. Are you in need a of a best friend? Be warned that friendship requires an investment of time and trust. God can be trusted to use whatever problem you are facing for good. When my best friend moved on, it took me awhile to let someone else in. My prayer for you today is that you get to know the best friend of all, Jesus. 'Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. ' John 15:13

If you don't know him, the link below will provide an introduction:
http://www.proverbs31.org/doyouknowJesus/doYouKnowJesus.php


Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value;

rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. ~C.S. Lewis


copyright Skyblue Creations 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why

Glue & Other Ties that Bind

True Love